February 3, 2010

Inspiration Comes From Many Places

I just finished reading my niece's last two blog postings and I have to say, for the record, that she has become my inspiration. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Isn't the adult supposed to influence and inspire the next generation? Well, I may have done that to some degree with both of my sister's daughters over the years, but right now, Rachel is the one that I am turning to for courage and determination.

If you haven't read her blog, you really must! Check it out at http://reshapingrachel.blogspot.com. She started her blog last October when she decided the time had come to take control of her life and her health, so she joined Weight Watchers. She began blogging as another form of reinforcement to help her stay on track. Now, I've known Rachel since before she was born and I've watched her grow up into an incredible, beautiful, successful young woman! I've also seen her struggle with a weight issue her whole life, just as her mom and I do (along with half the world, I think). She's been on the yo-yo diet track for almost 30 years, but this time is different. This time, she has gone public and laid out all of the feelings, emotions, frustrations she feels right out there for the world to see in her blog! She has shared the positive moments, the negative setbacks, and, yes, even her true weight for anyone who is interested. I think that is extraordinarily brave and something that I don't think I could ever do! I admire her for her honesty and openness and I have drawn strength from her example!

In fact, last month I joined Weight Watchers, too, along with my sister (Rachel's mom). It hasn't been easy, but it is necessary! And Rachel has been right there with us -- in spirit, at least -- by calling with words of encouragement, sending us recipes, passing on tips she's learned along the way, etc. I think I've talked to her more on the phone in the last month than I have in the last 2-3 years! She calls to check up on me and see how I'm doing. She gave me a pep talk when it turned out I'd gained a pound this past week -- not a surprise since I had lost 7 pounds the week before. She wanted to be sure I wasn't discouraged and ready to give up, which I wasn't. She has been a godsend and I hope she continues her support. Knowing her, wild horses couldn't keep her from helping me make the lifestyle changes I need to do to succeed in reaching my goal and keeping the weight off.

So I dedicate this blog to my wonderful niece, Rachel, who has already lost 33 pounds on her road to her new self. The changes you've made in your life -- not just when it comes to weight loss, but in everything you do -- are an inspiration to me and to many others! Keep up the good work....keep sticking to the program....and keep on blogging! I love you lots!!

Oh, and a P.S. to Sara -- I haven't forgotten about you; I love you, too!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! Thank you very much. I'm very flattered. However, you are the one that has also taken the step towards a healthier lifestyle. I'm just there to support and encourage you along the way. After all, I'd like to keep you around for a bit longer! ;-) So, if I have to set the precedent, so be it!

    Btw, you did have an influence on Sara and I more than you know. You have shown strength through many hurdles. Your independence is inspiring more than anything. But, this is your life now! It's time for you to take control...nobody else.

    Thank you for being such an amazing Aunt and sister to my mother. I love you so much and am very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete